Hey, it's what I do! Welcome to my creative arts blog!

Welcome to my Maker's blog, where I feature my own unique creative projects. I'm six years out from breast cancer and counting my blessings.

Top Projects

Don't Miss My TOP Projects!

Monday, June 7, 2010

Family tree painting part 1


I painted this for my younger sister for Christmas. It matches the colors of the art quilt she has on her bedroom wall. What you can't see are the dozens of hearts and tiny musical notes I added because of her great kids and her stupendous singing talent. She's amazing, my sister!


BUT, I haven't always been a painter. I sewed, crocheted, quilted and sketched for years without picking up a brush. Taking art classes was daunting for me and the family budget always laughs heartily at a request for funding and then says, "Um, NO." So I began small with birdhouses and folk art signs and other things that were fun to do and came out pretty darn good. Soon everyone in the family had received painted birdhouses and signs which they still display to this day, bless their lovin' hearts.

So, by studying other artists and their paintings and painting ALOT, I soon figured out what I can do and what I aspire to do as a painter. I'm not where I want to be but the journey has been very rewarding and that brings us to where my art is today. I'm still leagues away from my painting goals, but getting there is half the fun!


So, here's part of the process of that painting. There are alot more colors than you would think on that canvas which lend some depth to the final look. Some did not work and I just painted them out.

Before you say "I can't do that," just think what all of you in the blogging world have done with your creative projects. You see something, possibly by another talented blogger, or online, or just out and about in the mundane world, which nevertheless is full of creativity and wonderfulness. You think "That is too cool!"

And then what? You think, "I can make that!" and you figure out how to do it.

Painting is the same process. You figure out how to do it to get to the vision you have already in your head. Your painting will NOT be the same as some one else's. It will be yours. Even the attempts you are not happy with will get you to where you want to be eventually. If you find you enjoy it, just keep on trying. It's only paint! You can paint over your mistakes and try again!!


I had seen a painting similar to this and wanted that same sense of blended blues and purples with a curvy tree. Then I started adding other elements. What didn't work I painted out and put in something else. It's paint! You can do that!!

My sister loves her painting and I loved painting it for her! And hey, it may not be great art but it's made us both happy.

So this brings us to the title of this post.....the family tree painting. This is a commissioned piece I'm working on which will be similar in theme to the painting on the right in the picture below....




Which shows my wall of red art I painted for my livingroom. I could not find the paintings I wanted for my home, so I did my own. If I get tired of them I can paint different ones. All of these started out as something else. The autumn colored tree is the inspiration for a family tree painting for a customer.


The colors won't be quite so intense as the picture above and the tree will be more straight oak than curvy willow, but it is looking very very good. I will post pictures when it is finished.

Learning to paint needn't be expensive or soul searing. You can start with craft acrylics and simple brushes. Learn as you go. Paint what you like! Don't be afraid to try different things. You might be very surprised at the talent you did not know you had. And at the very least, you might end up with some very gift worthy painted birdhouses for your family at Christmas!

What was that commercial from years ago? "Try it, you'll like it!"

I'll be linking up to the parties on my sidebar this week. Please come visit and see what creativity the talented souls in blogland are up to.

59 comments:

  1. Yes, the painting has a place of honor in my home and is by far the classiest thing I've ever owned! The photos don't do it justice, it's gorgeous. Our family is lucky to have such a talented and prolific artist in our midst :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no training in art; no innate talent. But I pass by beautiful paintings all the time and have a physical urge to create something like that, even though I have no idea how. And going to Michael's or JoAnn's and passing by all those vivid acrylics and seductive canvases is almost painful. But when I read stuff from folks like you, I get closer to being willing to try it.

    It's only paint, yes...but what if I suck at it? "It's only failure" seems a little more daunting. And that is my fear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree and I don't....I would love to paint - but I just don't know....

    That said your work is gorgeous - stylized but not too much so...if that makes sense...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, those are just gorgeous! So colorful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your paintings, very inspiring! ~Sam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoa! That is gorgeous! You've got great talent for sure! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just gorgeous and you are definitely talented.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These paintings are beautiful! What a talent you have!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look great! I paint and draw as well. I have a degree in Fine Arts and am trying to get a job teaching art classes at night! These look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful. Love the vibrant colors and the whimsical design. It's fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your family tree! Beautiful. I also love your post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful! Very rich colors! You are a very talented lady. I' m enjoying your blog!
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sure I've visited you before because I recognize your banner. I love connecting with other artists!

    I love the roundness in the painting. It adds a sweetness. And the colors are stunning. I know what you mean about working the background. But isn't it fun? Kinda like adult finger painting.

    I hope some of your readers are inspired by your encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your paintings are simply gorgeous! I love the colors thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the family tree, you have so much talent. Blessings, Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ann your paintings are beautiful! I think that you've written a wonderful post that could apply to just about anything that we're afraid to try. Thank for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A few years back, I tried painting for the first time and was surprised at how well I did. It was fun! :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I *love* this!! Very very nice.
    btw, today is the day that I featured you over at
    http://blog.crescendoh.com/crescendoh/index.html
    Thanks again.
    Mary Beth

    ReplyDelete
  19. thanks for linking up to MMM...you are very talented!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Ann!! You are too sweet! Thanks for all your sweet comments!!

    I actually just changed to a new blog (new url) and reposted some of my older posts... of course I lost all my comments (which I put a link back to my old blog in the posts...just in case someone wanted to read the old comments)... so it looks like nobody has seen them... but many have and left some wonderful bloggy love comments... and if you click on the "featured on" button then you'll see where they were featured...

    I was smiling the whole time because we were online at the same time and I was checking my email right when you were commenting...

    BUT ENOUGH about my blog... you are very talented! Great job on the painting!! I use to paint and sell online... whimsical folk art. You have taught yourself well!! I love it! Keep painting... you'll only get better and better... but you are doing really good right now!! :)

    Thanks for stopping by and following!! Appreciate it Ann!!

    Kendra

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh Ann, these are absolutely beautiful! Thanks for your encouraging words too. I have always wanted to write a book. I've started one, but fear has kept me from finishing it. There is so much that you said in this post that can be applied to me too. If the words don't work, I can just erase them and write something else. Thank you so much.

    Thanks also for linking to Transform Tuesday. I always love the projects you link up and I look forward to seeing them each week. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  22. wow!! love the blue paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Vibrant colors make your tree so alive with spirit! I'm really shocked you haven't had formal lessons and now maybe someday I'll give painting a go without my hands shaking too badly. This is wonderful work! Pam @ Sallygoodin

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is GORGEOUS. I am in awe of your talent. It's no wonder your sister loves her gift--who wouldn't???
    Thank you SO MUCH for visiting my blog--your visit led me here and I'm so happy I came! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  25. You are simply AMAZING!!!

    SOO TALENTED!!!

    Thanks for Socializing with me this week at Socialize with me Monday til Sunday!

    I can not wait to see more!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Really, really beautiful and thanks a ton for sharing how you actually painted it. Just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love the painting. It has inspired me. I like the circles amid the branches.

    Did you use oil or acrylic paints?

    ReplyDelete
  28. I just love all the blue things you have in your banner picture. Did you make them? I'd love to know if you did and if you have posted how to's somewhere. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  29. I made most of the blue garden balls in my header with the exception of one. I WILL be posting a tute on hos to make them soon, I promise!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Just beautiful! I've seen this type of paintings too and I love them, awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love it! Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. These paintings are amazing. You are so talented. I lovethe concept of family trees - so precious! Fanulous job! Thanks so much for joining the Sunday Showcase Party! I greatly appreciate it. Hope you are having a wonderful week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love this! It reminds me of Starry Night.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thank you for the sweet comments regarding my Barbie cake!

    ReplyDelete
  35. i am so impressed! i love to paint and create, but i am not great at actually painting pictures and things. they always come out looking "cute" or like my child painted it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hey, girlie! This is gorgeous! Also, I hadn't heard from you so I think you missed the post...you won my Scrolls Work Stamps gift certificate giveaway! Email me so I can get this to you!!!! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Your paintings are gorgeous. I've always been a sucker for trees silhouetted against a colorful sky (photography, paintings) and this one takes it to the next level with a colorful, pleasing design. I'm loving your pretty maker-of-things blog, I'm a "creator/crafter" as well. I shall follow for more inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I'm a new Thursday Follower! Your site is so cute! To find some great deals and Freebies visit me at http://www.rockindeals4you.com/?p=5305 and sign up for my newest giveaways!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Nossa que coisa mais linda, adorei...
    Voces estão de parabéns.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Such Talent! Here from NFF!

    Happy Day,
    Jasey @ Crazy Daisy
    crazyjayzplace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  41. Simply amazing. What a beautiful painting you have created. Love it!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Thanks for giving your readers encouragement to try their hand at painting. That is really the purpose of my blog; giving women not just encouragement and inspiration, but teaching the skills to tackle new projects they might not normally try. This is what Modern Craftswoman Monday is all about...thanks for linking! Rory

    ReplyDelete
  43. Your painting it gorgeous! Thanks so much for sharing it! I love the tree and the colours. It makes me feel happy when I look at it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  44. WOW! What a beautiful painting for your sister. You are very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  45. I love those paintings! Stopping by from I heart naptime party.
    -Mama E
    www.homeandheartsblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  46. Very Beautiful! You make it look so easy. You are a talented woman!!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Wow these are beautiful!!

    Thanks for sharing at Saturday is Crafty Day!
    Laura @ along for the ride

    ReplyDelete
  48. Uh.... this is totally incredible. You have no idea how many times I scrolled back to look at the detail. I love the windy aspect of the blue painting. I hope you sell this type of work!!

    Thanks for linking up! I'm showing you off on the sidebar this weekend. :)

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  49. I could not paint that if I tried! Well done!!!!!
    God bless,Evi

    ReplyDelete
  50. Wow you do wonderful work! Thanks for the sweet compliment you left on my blog...hope to see you again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  51. I really love the bold colors and textures in your painting.

    ReplyDelete
  52. I don't know why the idea of painting intimidates most of us - you're right, it's not any different from any of the other projects we tackle without knowing what we're doing.

    Thanks for linking up to Fab Friday.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  53. I love your blog, love those paintings. I am always intimidated by paint. But you are right, it's do-overable!! Thanks for the nice comments about the lights on my blog.. Glad I found yours!

    ReplyDelete
  54. those are all beautiful! great job, and thanks for sharing at my saturday soiree! hope you'll come again :)

    ReplyDelete
  55. amazing!!!!! very beautiful

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and read every one. They let me know if I'm on a good track with my blog. Thanks for stopping by!