Friday, November 11, 2011

Lighted Autumn Hurricane

I scored this gigantic glass hurricane at a yard sale for $2. It is 20" tall and 8" across at the belly with a wooden base. I love it's size and how I can dress it up all year long. Plus, $2!! That still makes me grin.



Last spring I filled it with vine balls, book page decor balls, driftwood, monkey's knots, pine cones and my favorite green glitter dragonfly. I LOVE how it looked with a few of my cobalt glass pieces.


So this fall I restyled it for Autumn. Now it is a lighted accent to my Thanksgiving decorating. I like it. I like it alot!



I grabbed a garland and a short string of 50 lights from my stash....both Dollar Store buys from years past. I twined them together and stuffed them into the glass. The problem was, they all fell to the bottom and left the top of the glass empty.

The Welding Man suggested that I put a piece of dowel inside to support the garland, so here's what I came up with. To disguise the dowel I covered it with an Autumn leaf print napkin cut into strips. A bit of hot glue at the top and bottom kept the paper in place. We threaded it through the garland and used florist wire to hold it at the top. Then we plugged it in and I am pleased as punch at the way it looks!





Here it is at the corner of my "bookcase in lieu of a mantel" with my Thankful wreath, my faux stained glass mirror, my oak family tree painting and another, smaller, unlit hurricane. It really brightens up that corner and is a beautiful night light. I checked it often for too much heat from the lights and it is safe, just warm.

Now I'm thinking that smaller hurricane needs lights, too. I can put it in the corner of the living room with my Autumn tree branches. And for Christmas I'm thinking silver balls and ornaments and pine cones and a bit of greenery, all lit up!

I'll be joining the blog parties on my sidebar, come along and link up! There is a wealth of creative projects out there!

http://ivyandelephants.blogspot.com/2014/09/up-in-smoke-again.html?utm_source=Friends+of+Ivy+%26+Elephants&utm_campaign=c40032f638-Up+in+Smoke+Again&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_a51593f650-c40032f638-42477

http://www.playpartypin.com/2014/09/weekend-re-treat-link-party-86.html
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

  1. Very lovely. Thank you for linking it up to my November "Abundant Thanks" party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow..Your set up looks amazing..Perfect turn out and soo festive for the season.. I would LOVE for you to please share it via my thanksgiving linky party pweease. - http://theartsygirlconnection.blogspot.com/2011/11/thankful-for-food.html?showComment=1321294226362#c4607478653202832991 TY -- wishing you an amazing start to your week..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this hurricane lamp! Pinned it and linked your post in my Feature Friday to share with others. Stop by if you get the chance, I'm a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really creative. It reminded me that I have two empty hurricane lamps just waiting for something like this. Ann Marie @ Iris Abbey

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, I'm late at this blog but am interested in how you handled the portion of the light's end that plugged into the electrical socket? Does it just hang over the edge of the top, inconspicuously of course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are two ways to do this. Originally I just draped it over the top and arranged the leaves to cover it. Then I had The Welding Man drill a hole through the wood base plate the hurricane sits on then passed the wire thru. We had to cut off the plug end to put the wire through then The Welding Man put the plug back on with skill and electrical tape. I'm going to try to do this again with white Christmas garland and white lights with silver ornaments for Christmas!

      Delete

I love your comments and read every one. They let me know if I'm on a good track with my blog. Thanks for stopping by!

Book Page Christmas DIY

Most of you have figured out I am a color freak with an obsession  for turquoise, red and cobalt blue.  However, I also obsess about ...