Saturday, February 4, 2012

A Touch of Blue for My Craft Room Redo


I made this necklace last summer and then chose the same colors for my craft room redo. I love the different shades of turquoise and sky blue with the bright red and cream. I'll throw in a few pinks and other blues in there, too. (This necklace, by the way, just SOLD in my Etsy shop! Yay, Etsy!)


I've had a few pieces of plastic ware sitting in my stash that are just crying out to be included in this craft room makeover.

I found this at Goodwill and grabbed it up. It has wonderful faux wood grain carved into flowers and vines and I knew it would look good painted another color. Since then I've seen other bloggers redo plastic faux wood pieces like this in creamy white and light pink. I decided to go for the turquoise blue.
I did more of a dry brush technique to bring out all the detail and then wiped most of it off. The true turquoise color is still showing on that one upright divider, very bright. Once I burnished the color a bit, the details really popped. I love the way this came out!

And here it is in it's new life as my table top tool caddy! All my small hand tools and scissors fit just right. Even that big ol' Cropodile has a place! It is the perfect pop of color for my all white table top. White, that is, when it's not spotted with paint. Ahem.

And here is another bit of plastic ware...a hinged frame and clock which I found at the Dollar Store almost 10 years ago. What a deal! The clock works perfectly and it holds a photo of two of my favorite men, the hubs and the father in law. My father in law has been gone over 20 years now, and we still miss him.

The frame is hunter green plastic with gold colored highlights. Okay, but it could look better, right?


And here it is dry brushed and burnished with turquoise blue. I like it. I like it alot! Now it sits on the shelf above my desk and it makes me smile every time I check the time.

This is another faux wood plastic piece. It is a wood grained frame attached to a square container, probably for a flower arrangement originally. I gave it a bit more turquoise color to see if I liked it.....





...and ended it burnishing most of it off. I made a card with book pages and scrapbook paper and put it inside the frame, then loaded it up with all of my crochet hooks. I love how this turned out! And yes, I use every single one of those crochet hooks so I keep them handy.

So instead of buying new things for color in my craft studio, I've been remaking what I've got. So far, so good. Soon I'll be showing you what else I've got up my sleeve to make that room organized, neat and pretty. I work in there everyday and I want it to be a creatively inspiring space. I think with small projects like these along with the bigger ones, I'm finally on the right track!

7 comments:

  1. Well- that turquoise paint works miracles ,doesn't it!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hurray for your craft room redo! I'm in the middle of a sporadic one, too, though mine is still in the "reorganize and clean" stage. ;) Anyway, I love blue, too, so cheers to that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that colour!! It gives a whole new look to the piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. cute projects! love that letter holder and that is great idea using it in your craft room!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The necklace is fabulous! I also love the letter holder..so perfect for craft tools!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ann, those pieces are fantastic! I love that you can reuse things and make them look so great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ann, these great re-purpose items are being featured today on Feature Friday! Thanks for linking up! Have a great weekend! All my best xo

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and read every one. They let me know if I'm on a good track with my blog. Thanks for stopping by!

Book Page Christmas DIY

Most of you have figured out I am a color freak with an obsession  for turquoise, red and cobalt blue.  However, I also obsess about ...