Sunday, October 10, 2021

Melted Shot Glasses = Pretty Wind Chimes/Suncatchers

                                                        Yes, you read that right. 
                            Melted shot glasses can be used to make pretty wind chimes!

  Or, suncatchers, as one "helpful" commenter wrote. "These are not true CHIMES."

                                     Tomato, tomahto, but I understand the distinction. 

                  Ahem. They're fun and easy to make and look so pretty when they're done.
       


                 

                             The look almost like glass and they have a merry plastic clink to them. 
                                                           And they sure are pretty!

                     
                                     I got the plastic shot glasses at our local Dollar Tree. 
                                                        I bought all the colors!
                     Using an old cupcake pan I put two or three glasses in each cupcake hole.


                           

                           
                                      
                                  We used the OUTSIDE oven in The Welding Man's shop. 

THE MELTING PLASTING OFF GASES SOME SMELLY FUMES. USE AN OUTDOOR
                   OVEN  OR BARBECUE, DO NOT DO THIS IN YOUR KITCHEN111

               I set the temp at 250 F and checked them often to assess how the melting progressed.
                                                     I think it took less than 10 minutes.



                                       Here is how the glasses looked before and after melting.


       
                                   Once they were cool I flipped them out on my work table. No, they 
                                                  did NOT stick to the pan.

We used a small drill bit to make holes in each disc using an electric drill. Then strung them up using chains and rings from other Dollar Tree items. The plastic thingy at the top was in my craft room, I                                                                        don't know what it was before.

                               

                          

                                            This turned out so pretty and was so easy to do!

                          I see online that this can be done with the larger thing plastic drink cups too. 
                                                 I will have to try that and write about it.

1 comment:

  1. I've done this craft a lot! I love it. And I've changed it up a bit each time, sometimes I've blended the colors separately and together, make different size circles, and have broken cooked ones to mix differnt chunks together to see what colors are created. and have even made drink holder for cans by making a huge circle or somewhat close to ot and putting it over a cup with tin foil in between to get the shape.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and read every one. They let me know if I'm on a good track with my blog. Thanks for stopping by!

Book Page Christmas DIY

Most of you have figured out I am a color freak with an obsession  for turquoise, red and cobalt blue.  However, I also obsess about ...