Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Vase rescue with wallpaper. Really!



I sure didn't want to ditch this vase, it's heavy and a good size and I loves my vases, I do. I love to plunk arrangements in them of flowers and sticks and eucalyptus and twisty branches and wheat and berries and...you know what I'm talking about, right?

Right now I have a total of six within eyeball range; they're in my living and dining rooms. They are such a bright pick me up and give each room a pop of color.

But this vase lost a corner chunk when pebbles were dropped in with too much enthusiasm and blooey, this baby won't be holding water anytime soon. But it has a nice shape and heft and it doesn't really have to hold water if I don't put real flowers in it.....


Gorilla glue to the rescue! But it's still ugly and that corner piece is pretty heavy, so I reinforced it with packing tape. Unfortunately, it looks uggggggllllly. I considered my go-to Mod Podge finish of crumpled tissue and paint and glaze but then I remembered the wallpaper I used for the master bath cabinet. I had covered the amber pebbled plastic in the cabinet door with wallpaper then painted it with the wall color and it looks very cool.
So, Mod Podge and wallpaper ahoy!





I emailed the family about painting it a nice cocoa brown or white like the bathroom. After the votes were in (including surprising input from the retired Lt. Cmdr. and the current Air Force lieutenant on deployment and my son slogging his way thru pharmacy school) The consensus was the brown looked like Cocoa Pebbles but the white looked way cool. Tho I kind of liked the brown....








For those of you who wondered about the vase redo for my master bath, here she is in her place of honor. Yep, she's full of flowers and branches and twigs and berries......and it might be my imagination but she seems glad for the rescue, dontcha think?



I'll be linking to some blog parties soon, like the Penny Pinching Party at The Thrifty Home and Strut Your Stuff Thursday at Somewhat Simple plus Friday's at Remodelaholic. See you there!


10 comments:

  1. It DID look like cocoa pebbles. Now I'm hungry. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you just love Gorilla Glue? I haven't tried their epoxy, but I've read it's great, too. I always used E6000, but now I always use GG. And Modpodge! Great project!

    Forgive me for taking so long to visit. I so appreciate you visiting my blog. It's just been one of 'those' weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great makeover for the vase...I like the white but the brown is more interesting to look at...Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a clever fix. I'm so glad you stopped by , now I will be following your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool. I love that paintable wallpaper.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like your style. I'm going to follow you and I would love for you to visit my blog and I invite you to do the same! I think that we have very similar design styles!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also have a party every Wednesday called the Boardwalk Bragfest....I see an awful lot of things that you could link to that party - - a lot of "brag-worthy" items :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks amazing! I've been seeing textured wallpaper used for all sorts of stuff lately! I've got to go get myself a roll to have on hand for such thing! Great rescue. Thanks for following my blog! I'm going to enjoy following yours, I love what I see so far!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is gorgeous! I love love it! I am doing this with a regular vase...lol

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and read every one. They let me know if I'm on a good track with my blog. Thanks for stopping by!

Book Page Christmas DIY

Most of you have figured out I am a color freak with an obsession  for turquoise, red and cobalt blue.  However, I also obsess about ...