Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Silver Button Blingy Decor Ball


I posted this several months ago when I was a blog newby, so I'm posting it again for my new friends. This is the little display/vignette at the end of the counter when you come into the house from our deck. This is our buffet counter when the fam is here and the rest of time it is Stacking Central cuz it's so convenient. A red glass vase with twisty twigs, berries, flowers and dried eucalyptus, two milk glass pieces and yes, that's a chunky tequila bottle that I've embellished and filled with glass marbles.

So I've been trying to keep this counter cleaned off except for this little bit of decor and it's okay and pretty, but.......the silver ball in the milk glass urn just needed a little something, you know? It looked too much like an oversize plastic Christmas ball, which is exactly what it is. I decided to just do something fun and a little over the top. You know when you go to someone's house and you see a decor item that just draws you and you want to pick it up and handle it and you say, "What is it? This is so cool!" That's what I was shooting for.


I hied me away to my craft room and my store of silverish buttons. I opted for silver to match the ball and glued my first button on. Then it occurred to me that the ball was very slick and so were the buttons, so I roughed up the ball with some sandpaper to give the surface some tooth for the hot glue to grip.


I also pulled out some glass half marbles and some scrapbook gems to fill in any gaps.
















And I snipped the hasp thingies off the back of the buttons with my wire cutters. I don't have to show you how to do that, do I? Good.






So then it was me and the buttons and the ball and my glue gun. Put on a little smooth jazz on the CD player, some diet pop close at hand and I went to town. I threw in a few silvery stars and snowflakes and some beads......

Oooh, I like it. I like it alot! I used the little gems to fill in the spaces and some bottle caps for a bit of rustic charm and I had a good time! Ignore the hot glue strings, I dealt with them later. The hubs poked his head in and said it looked steampunky. Is that a word? I agree. It does look kind of steampunkerish.


And a couple hours later and a bit of scrubbing with a stiff toothbrush to take off the glue webs and I have this.....


So now comes the fun part, trying it out in different places in the house and seeing how it looks.



In the living room on the shelf right by my reading chair?



On the shelf in the hall bathroom, right below the mirror?



Or right there where it started, at the end of the counter when you come in the door? Yeah. That's the place. I love the way this came out! Don't you want to pick it up and turn it over and check it out? So do I! ; 0 )

Posting this over at the Fine Craft Guild linky party. She asked for a post with lots of good directions and this definitely qualifies!!

Fine Craft Guild

16 comments:

  1. I like it too. Very pretty and fun.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still love this and think it looks good EVERYwhere. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ann!
    I checked this out in your archives when I first found your blog. Loved it now and loved it then!
    The garden party is up and running. Please come by and link up one of your projects! Your giveway will be featured Friday and there are others going on each day.
    I am also finally sending you a reply to your email...sorry for the delay!
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  4. very pretty and definitely a one of a kind,, It looks great where you have it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it. It's kinda of Steampunk but not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found you through Keen Inspirations Garden party. Hope you don't mind if I look around.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous!! That's the best decor ball I've come across!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! so cute! thank you for the sweet comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous! I looove buttons and to have so many on one artsy piece is wonderful! I also do the same thing as far as putting objects in different places, it almost makes pieces that I've been looking at everday seem like a new treasure!(Did that make any sense)? Thanks for visiting my blog, I'll take a picture of that keyhole and show ya real soon, thanks for visiting my blog and your kind words! Debbie @ Cottage Hann~Me~Downs

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is absolutely gorgeous! Makes me wants to drag out my buttons and a hot glue gun! Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving such a nice comment!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Ann! I just love this adorably decorated ball! I will have to add this to "to be made" list :) I am excited to be your newest follower! Thank you so much for stopping by Frou Frou Decor! I hope you visit again and enjoy!!
    Terrell

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing! I really could stare at all the textures and such all day long. So original! I'd bet it catches the light in the most delightful of ways.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  13. hey, another globe. they are getting more and more interesting!!!

    Thanks for linking it up at Fine Craft Guild DIY Linky Party.

    Do join our next party again with a great tutorial. The party will open Wednesday and you can reach it from our homepage.

    :0-)
    Rose
    Http://www.FineCraftGuild.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bling!

    Hi Ann! I popped over here from your daughter's blog because I realized I hadn't stalked you in a while, and oh, am I glad I did! I love this project, it's so cool, and you really have a good eye for placement.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the silver button ball! That is way to much fun.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and read every one. They let me know if I'm on a good track with my blog. Thanks for stopping by!

Book Page Christmas DIY

Most of you have figured out I am a color freak with an obsession  for turquoise, red and cobalt blue.  However, I also obsess about ...