Sunday, December 11, 2011

Book Page Decor Featuring Stars

Here is the the mirror and bookshelf in my entry, all decked out in greens and lots of recycled book page ornaments. I have rosettes, balls, wreaths and stars.



I love the look of vintage books and typography and use old worn out books and music sheets whenever possible in my crafts and decor. It really couldn't be simpler....

Find a shape you like. In this case I used a 3D tin star from the Dollar Store and a worn out dictionary with densely printed pages. Even a flat star shape cut from thin cardboard (like cereal boxes) looks great covered in pieces of old book pages!

Sometimes I tear the pages up for nice ragged edges, but this time I cut them up into rectangles. A coat of Mod Podge (or plain school glue) adheres them to the shape easily. Once it is dry, a top coat of Mod Podge really seals the edges and gives it a nice sheen. You can also spray it with clear sealer for additional luster.

When your shape is dry, sand the edges with a downward stroke using an emery board or buffing sponge like you'd use on your fingernails. This trims the extra paper for a nice straight edge.

Can you tell one star is covered with pages from a different book? I just love the texture and interest the print gives to these simple shapes!

Posted by Picasa
Ornaments made with recycled book and music pages are a cheap and easy way to give your decor a bit of shabby chic style without too much effort. I love the way the recycled paper ornaments look with my ruffled muslin garland, such sweet contrast!

Soon I'll show you how to make the sweet zig zag wreaths and simple rosettes. They are so simple, inexpensive and very striking!

I'll be linking up to the parties in my sidebar. Come check out the wonderful Holiday creativity!

15 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! I stopped over here from the party and I had to comment! Those stars are fabulous....I am totally going to use this idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are really cute! Great idea :)

    I'm pinning for later!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are beautiful! Love them! Stopping by from Southern Product Queen's linky party.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoops! Sorry. I stopped by from Southern Lovely's party. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea-what a great way to dress up an ordinary dollar store star!

    ReplyDelete
  6. so cute - I might try this with some photocopies of sheet music... hmmm... thanks for the ideas
    love the blog, just joined up, and if you get time to help a fellow crafter get to 50 followers (LOL!), I'd love for you to follow me too;
    http://partycraftsecrets.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been doing the same kinds of things with mod podge and dictionary pages....love the look and I mimicked your bowl of goodies somewhere back in your archives except I added irridescent glitter to the balls, hearts, stars and white christmas light bulbs. They look pretty good....now I have to make the angels (hint) and am thinking of doing grapevine spheres if I can muster the energy to tackle that stubborn grapevine in my garden. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this!
    Please share this at:www.ladybugswithzoi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome project! I just wanted to let you know that I featured it yesterday on "You Sew Rock Me Fridays" at my blog Sew Rockin'. Here's the link: http://www.sewrockin.com/2011/12/16/you-sew-rock-me-fridays-9.

    I can't wait to see what else you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love book page craft and this one is no exception, it's amazing what a little modge podge and an old book can achieve.

    Thanks for sharing the how to, may have to use this in next years decorating :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Truly cute idea. Old typography really makes for some great visual interest. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that book page crafts are becoming so popular these days. They're simple, yet sophisticated and yours arena exception! I also really, really love your blog header. I've loved blue glass since I was a little girl and it's always been my dream to have a collection of bottles in my window!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the newsprint star idea. I've made 3D paper stars using a star shape cut using my Cricut machine, then decorated the fronts with scrapbook paper and stamping. You can see one of my 3D paper stars here:
    http://www.hookedonstamping.com/index.php/other-projects/project-3d-star-for-a-happy-4th-of-july/

    and another version here:
    http://www.hookedonstamping.com/index.php/papers/blue-ribbon/3d-star-with-swag/

    Thank you for sharing the instructions - a gal after my own heart :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the texture of print, too. :) Thanks for linking up at my Winter Wonderland party!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and read every one. They let me know if I'm on a good track with my blog. Thanks for stopping by!

Book Page Christmas DIY

Most of you have figured out I am a color freak with an obsession  for turquoise, red and cobalt blue.  However, I also obsess about ...