Tuesday, November 3, 2015

DIY A Pretty Map Planter

Sometimes an idea comes from nowhere, sometimes from a photo on Pinterest or even a magazine article. I'm always looking for unique ways to create things I'll actually use.

And sometimes "necessity is the mother of invention." 

In this case I needed a plant pot for a kitchen houseplant and I did not want to go buy something new. So I rummaged in my stash and found.....


exterior formula Mod Podge  and an old National Geographic map. Wheels are turning!


Here's the right size planter I retrieved from my garden shed stash. This has real possibilities! I cleaned it up and sanded it a bit for some "tooth" so the paper would stick.



Ooh aah! I really like how the colors show up! I wonder how the exterior grade Mod Podge will do on a planter even if it is inside?




Well, I'm going to find out, aren't I? This looks so unique and it is perfect for my kitchen window.

I chose to put this view on the front side and made my cuts and corrections on the backside, on the best plains of Russia. I am sure someone can make a political statement out of that action ;o) In this case the backside adjustments worked perfectly!

UPDATE-

This little planter pot has been in the window for several months and the Mod Podge is holding up extremely well, tolerating the moisture and shedding any over watering like it is actually plastic. 

I just love the colorful graphics of the map and I KNOW that no one else has a planter like this. Plus I didn't spend any money. That's a win win in my book!



1 comment:

I love your comments and read every one. They let me know if I'm on a good track with my blog. Thanks for stopping by!

Book Page Christmas DIY

Most of you have figured out I am a color freak with an obsession  for turquoise, red and cobalt blue.  However, I also obsess about ...