Sunday, December 18, 2011

Teeny Tiny Wine Cork Reindeer


Pin It


Look! A tiny reindeer made from wine corks and twigs for your Holiday decor!

If you accumulate a lot of wine corks or keep running across them at yard sales and thrift stores, here's a nifty little project for the holidays that is so stinkin' cute and sort of easy, plus cheap. I make these little guys to go with my Santa dolls and while making them today I went ahead and took pictures of the process.



Here he is surrounded by the supplies for his creation. Wine corks, little twigs (some with forks) and round headed pins. You will also need a tool for cutting like a razor craft knife and wire cutters.


Punch four leg holes at a slight outward angle in the bottom of one cork for the twig legs. Use a nail or ice pick or whatever gives you the right size holes. The holes need only be about 1/4" deep. Cut four sorta matching twigs for the legs, about 2" long, using a razor knife or wire cutters like those shown.




Put a bit of hot glue in the hole or on the twigs and insert the twigs into the holes. You can press the sticks in with gentle pressure against your work surface or use a pair of pliers. Stand the body up and if any leg is out of whack trim it JUST A LITTLE with a knife or the wire cutters. If you take off too much you'll have to trim the other legs and then the first leg again and it will only end in tears, trust me on this.

BUT, if this happens you can use a heat gun or blow dryer to soften the glue and remove the sticks so you can start over with 4 new twig legs.



If your chosen head cork is too large, trim one end straight off with a razor knife til the proportion seems right. Do the same same punch-holes-trim-twigs-glue-in-holes for the tiny forked antlers and the neck twig. Notice the neck twig is angled, so punch your holes with that in mind.


                                          Look! Teeny tiny super cute wine cork reindeer!


LOVE these little guys!

But wait, what are the ball pins for? This little guy needs a red nose, of course. I snipped the pin off short then painted the ball bright red.



Then I added a bit of tiny green tinsel around his neck. Perfect. You can add more tiny trims like the bow on his brother in the top pic, or a tiny star, or a little bell.



They are great in a tabletop display or trooping across your mantle. They are not strong enough to be used as toys but for your Christmas decor, what could be easier or cuter? And now you have a nifty project to use all those wine corks you have in that glass jar.

I'll be posting this to the blog parties in my sidebar. Come join the fun!


21 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I really need to start saving my wine corks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this little guy - so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. stop with yourself. that is just too stinking cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwwww....isn't s/he so cute?! Thanks for sharing this little dude /dudette at my Winter Wonderland party!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is just awesome!!! Love this so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a darling little reindeer! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This little guy is so cute! Thanks for sharing! I'm pretty sure I have some wine corks I could use for this project. ;o) New follower from the Today's Creative Blog link party! xo, Reannah

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is adorable! I am your newest follower!

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is the cutest dad-gum thing EVER! I am so making these!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are so cute! I have a ton of wine corks and am always looking for ways to use them. I'll be making some of these.
    Thanks for the tutorial.
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a cute project...love it..Pinning it :))) I would love for you to please share it via my Pin'Inspirational Thursday happening today please..Thank you in advance.. Wishing you the Happiest of Holidays :))..Cheers..M... http://theartsygirlconnection.blogspot.com/2011/12/pininspirational-thursday-13-linky.html#comment-form

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is adorable. You could do so many things with this little festive guy! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. VERY cute! I wanted to let you know that I am featuring you on my blog, in this week's Stay At Home Nation Spotlight! I would love for you to check it out & feel free to link up to My Favorite Things Friday Party too (a new one starts at midnight).
    Happy Holidays!
    ~Iffy~

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just LOVE it!!! I have sooo many corks! I'm going to have to make some. Thanks for sharing the tutorial!!

    http://thediydreamer.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm a "wine-o"...gotta love this little crafty guy! Too cute. I am your newest follower. Please drop by my blog palace sometimes...Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  16. Visiting, loving and following ;)))

    Http://dasbellas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. SO CUTE! been looking for something cute to send my sister in law who loves wine! This is it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a fun, cute idea! Might make these at place cards! lovesthefind.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. So cute, a beautifully abstract version of a reindeer

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love! Started collecting corks because I saw this on pinterest, and now I have 50! I am going to make a whole bunch for this christmas and use them as ornaments.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and read every one. They let me know if I'm on a good track with my blog. Thanks for stopping by!

Book Page Christmas DIY

Most of you have figured out I am a color freak with an obsession  for turquoise, red and cobalt blue.  However, I also obsess about ...