Monday, February 27, 2012

Book Page Projects for my Craft Room


For my craft studio update I used book pages to make LOTS of complementary storage boxes using Elmer's to glue the pages down and Mod Podge to seal them. I made almost 4 dozen and I'm very happy with the way they, and my craft room, came out. I also made over a dozen decoupaged with tissue paper and contact paper. That's ALOT of cheap, stylish storage!


Don't let this sight scare you. This old paperback dictionary was falling apart and the pages were so brittle they tore when you turned the page. I love books, but I don't feel badly recycling an old book like this into great storage and decor on a budget.

I used full book pages on the back of this painted shelf to add visual interest. Then I loaded it up with jars and bottles full of my craft and sewing supplies. It was the start of something good.


I put torn book pages on the back side of these little painted cubby shelves and they give them just a bit more style, don't you think?



And whenever I got my hands on a good, sturdy box that fits on my shelves I knew I had a candidate for more matching storage. I taped the flaps up or down so I had different box sizes.


The school glue and Mod Podge really brings out the aged edges on the book pages and makes the boxes look like vintage storage boxes. I love the mellow golden tone of this old paper.


Here is that little box all "done up." Much better than it was before!

Boxes with "lids" work up nicely, too. I used chalkboard contact paper to make labels.

I had a pair of these beat up gold foil star containers knocking around in my stash and I knew I wanted to use them on my shelves, so here comes the book paper!


Completely changed the look of this star from Christmas to vintage shabby chic. Love it! I covered the other one in black and white damask tissue paper and it looks just as good.

I love to use old jars and bottles for storage but some of them had labels that wouldn't come off cleanly or sticky spots where the labels used to be. Book paper to the rescue! Plus some lace and trims and rosettes and buttons and some hot glue. I really like the way these came out, too.


Here's that front and center jar in a little cubby hole. Love it.

And another. What a nice contrast to the bright color of the wood sign.

I even added book paper to this painted and glazed frame, then put the vintage butterfly print on top. The jar next to it looks so sweet.


 
 

I just blogged about redoing this plastic clock with book pages. It used to be royal blue and now it is perfect for the shelf above my desk. It makes me smile.


And here's an oldie but a goody. I used E 6000 (jewelry adhesive) to put together a Dollar Store sundae glass and a glass plate. Then I used book paper and Mod Podge to give it a cool vintage look, almost like aged bakelite. Then I added the neat glass cloche on top.


Here it is in my room. I still love it! I added 3 balls that I decorated with cutout stars, vintage buttons and old lace and covered them with the cloche. I change out the display when I want to see something new.

I have more book page projects in the works and I'll be sharing them here. What about you, what have you done with this easiest and cheapest craft technique?

I'll be linking up to the blog parties in my sidebar. Come visit and join the fun!

23 comments:

  1. Your room and all your projects are great - Love the look!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your creative space and the old pages with the boxes is such a wonderful look! I just joined the Etsy Cottage Style and found your link and wanted to say hello. blessings, Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for visiting and leaving such a nice comment. Your craft room turned out wonderful. Love the many ways you used the book pages.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ann ... this is really some great projects. I am totally inspired to get to work and do some of this.
    Blessings,
    Audrey Z @ Timeless Treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you have been working .. Nice job. Best wishes. I am now following you, by the way. :) Linda Thanks for visiting me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The clock and the star are my favorites. I love the vintage look the pages give the items. Great job!

    -Jazmine
    keepitkrafty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've got so many cute projects here - I Love them all :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Ann! wow, you have given my eyes quite a feast!! All of your book page crafts are totally inspiring and I have to say that the clock is seriously a home run! Love it!!!
    - Jane @ urbanejane.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow - you've been busy! Very fun. (Like the clock)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your ideas.. Old books are a passion of mine and I even have a pin board for using the old pages..
    Thanks..
    God bless..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great ideas! Love to decoupage boxes with old print. thanks for visiting me and sharing.

    Diddie

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow! what fun you are having with vintage books. there are so many beautiful ways to use them to make things beautiful again. i just finished using text from a vintage Alice in Wonderland Book on a mannequin head (http://rebecatrevino.blogspot.com/) it turned out pretty kool.
    Thanks for stopping by my blog today. i just love to see what other creatives are up to, don't you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do love your cobalt blue header! I am now a follower.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good grief, Ann! How am I supposed to choose just one pic to pin? Love, love, love the bookpages. Your craft space is todiefor cute!

    Ok, now I'm off to see your bookpage chandy :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love them all - you have made my life so much easier because now I don't have to pick a particular one to feature at the Highlight Party tonight! Thank you for sharing at the party last week. Your craft room is amazing.

    Mandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Mandy! I'm finally getting some creative energy back after chemo and radiation, so being featured jazzes me up! Love your Linky Party each week, thanks for hosting.

      Delete
  16. Love it!! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow!! Fabulous!! I am so loving the book pages on the back of the shelves...stealing that idea when I get my own craft room;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow. You have been busy with all that book paper. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  19. These look great! I especially love the clock!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh wow, your craft room looks wonderful. mine is such a mess right now ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow I impress by your room is wonderful and amazing. I like your craft work so much. I love your craft room and specially I like watch and star so much. .

    remote control car

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow you have done very nice work with books pages. Its look so nice different and also creative. i really appreciate your amazing work.


    photoshop courses

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and read every one. They let me know if I'm on a good track with my blog. Thanks for stopping by!

Book Page Christmas DIY

Most of you have figured out I am a color freak with an obsession  for turquoise, red and cobalt blue.  However, I also obsess about ...