Hey, it's what I do! Welcome to my creative arts blog!

Welcome to my Maker's blog, where I feature my own unique creative projects. I'm six years out from breast cancer and counting my blessings.

Top Projects

Don't Miss My TOP Projects!

Friday, September 19, 2014

Colorful Painted Coffee Table Project

Several years ago when I slipcovered our long couch in chocolate brown, I painted the top of our coffee table to tie together all the colors in the room...namely reds, golds, browns and greens. First I used Kilz primer on the top then painted an abstract design with craft paint. I love that pop of color in our livingroom!

This table was a $7 auction find decades ago and it has served us very very well.



Here is the original cubist abstract design. After painting the colorful top and dry brushing with burnt umber I aged it with walnut Polyshades, which is a stain and sealer in one. It gave the colors just the right vintage patina that I was aiming for.


 In our new home the brown couch and some of the artwork has remained and I've added turquoise blue to my living room mix. I knew it was time to update that coffee table!

I carefully sanded then painted every shape that was formerly green with Apple Barrel turquoise. Then I aged each piece with burnt umber paint and finished it off with walnut Polyshades.


I aged it a bit more to tone down the turquoise and here's how it looks now.


The blues still need further aging but I love how it looks with the red and blue pillows on the couch!


Of course I wanted some turquoise and red decor for the "new" coffee table. I'll post about that right here....

http://makethebestofthings.blogspot.com/2014/09/painted-decor-balls-for-my-coffee-table.html

And I'll be joining these linky parties and sharing. Come and visit!

http://www.funkyjunkinteriors.net/2014/09/salvaged-old-signs.html

1 comment:

I love your comments and read every one. They let me know if I'm on a good track with my blog. Thanks for stopping by!