Hey, it's what I do! Welcome to my creative arts blog!

Welcome to my Maker's blog, where I feature my own unique creative projects. I'm six years out from breast cancer and counting my blessings.

Top Projects

Don't Miss My TOP Projects!

Friday, September 19, 2014

Painted Decor Balls For My Coffee Table

I wrote previously about repainting my vintage/ancient 80s coffee table to coordinate with the new color scheme in my living room. Namely, the addition of turquoise blue. Here's the link....



I knew I wanted something something to put on the newly painted table to draw the eye. After checking out my stash and using a bit of paint I made some new decor for my living room, for FREE! 


I have lots of stuff stored away for projects and I had these resin decor balls in a box. I got them at a thrift store but I still see new ones for sale at Michael's, Ross, Pier 1 and other stores. They were originally a combo of bronze, brown and gold, not what I wanted at all.



Oops! Got a little ahead of the camera action there! I brushed on a scant layer of Apple Barrel acrylic paint in turquoise for this pair.


I totally adore the way the color picks out the detail in these decor balls! I painted the last ball (which was mostly antiqued gold) with Apple Barrel bright red. Then I wiped off some of the color on all three balls while the paint was still wet. This gave me the vintage vibe I was going for.



And last, to make them look even more aged, I finished them with a top coat of Poly Shades in classic oak. This is a stain and sealer in one and it adds just the right amber glow to these decor balls. Use this in a well ventilated space per the label instructions!


 I always buy footed wooden bowls whenever I find them at thrift stores or yard sales, so I knew I had this perfect container for my new old decor balls. I dry brushed the wood with more turquoise paint and wiped it off for a vintage look. Then I sealed it with the Polyshades. I LOVE how it makes the painted piece look instantly old!
Although it would be nice to go out and spend lots of dollars to get a new look in my home, I usually end up doing just this...changing up my decor with paint and stain and things I already have. And the best part? I can do it again and again and it is FREE!


 Ooooh aaaaah!

If I ever decide to go all white with my decor I know I can redo this table and these balls for a bit of decor punch. I love that! Join me at these fun linky parties. You'll find some very cool things!

                            http://www.funkyjunkinteriors.net/2014/09/salvaged-old-signs.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments and read every one. They let me know if I'm on a good track with my blog. Thanks for stopping by!