Saturday, November 7, 2020

Easy DIY Lighted Autumn Hurricane

Here's a unique...and easy...DIY for stunning autumn decor.
I "filled" a tall hurricane glass so that the garlands and lights stood tall
inside the glass.


I scored this 20" tall hurricane glass for $2 at a yard sale 
and I knew exactly what I wanted to do with it.


I had Dollar Store leaf garlands and white twinkle lights in my stash
 so I wrapped them together to make one string.

The problem was they would not stand up and fill the glass. Even wiring the garland to the top edge of the glass didn't fill the glass the way I was picturing.

Here's the simple solution!


Take a dowel that is just a little shorter than your glass. 
Cover it with some autumn paper or paint it to match. 
I used leaf printed napkins and wrapped them around diagonally.

NOW, wire your lighted garland to one end, making sure the plug end for 
your lights comes out at the top or bottom, as you wish.


Tada! 

Your pretty lighted garland will stand up and
 fill your glass from top to bottom!



I loved the look so much I did the same thing to a tall pasta jar 
and put both of them on top of a tall bookcase. 
The mirror behind them reflects the colors and lights
 into the room and looks dazzling.

I did a safety check on both containers and found the lights were only warm, 
not hot, so this display is safe.

My kids are kind of blase with all my decorating projects but my grandkids 
and great grandkids still react with wonder and delight 
when they come to visit our autumn house.

So, easy DIY lighting project plus kids' smiling faces?
Win win!


1 comment:

I love your comments and read every one. They let me know if I'm on a good track with my blog. Thanks for stopping by!

Book Page Christmas DIY

Most of you have figured out I am a color freak with an obsession  for turquoise, red and cobalt blue.  However, I also obsess about ...