Here is the 90's dining room light which The Welding Man luvs.
I keep decorating it and embellishing it through the seasons to play up my decor and add a bit of color and whimsy. Last year I used Dollar Store snowflakes and fake Autumn garlands.
So I thought I'd go with a different look and hang a drum, or barrel, lamp shade.
Then I went shopping.
Um, when did lamp shades get so freakin' expensive?
After Googling DIY lamp shades I figured I could restyle
a tall vintage shade into a shorter drum shade.
I started with this 28" tall shade on sale at the thrift store for $2.99.
I cut it 10" tall using a razor knife and sharp scissors.
The Welding Man helped me remove the metal rim and braces.
I re purposed the ring for my new shade after cutting off the brackets.
I hot glued the metal ring to the top inside edge of the new shade, then hot glued mixed trims around the outside edge. I used muslin bias binding, strips of burlap and then dressmaker's trim.
I also added the dressmaker's trim to the bottom of the shade.
At this point I'm okay with the result and hoping it looks good once I install it.
Well, okay, it looks fine. It's a little too yellow and the light really shows up
every little imperfection in the trims on both rims.
It is a little too amber for me and the uneven trims are
just making me really itchy. Mentally, that is.
It looks alright.
But now I have another idea involving garlands! So stay tuned.