Wednesday, April 28, 2010

French Style Canvas Tote for Mother's Day in my Etsy Shop


I remade a black canvas tote for my own use and I knew this would be a great item to list in my Etsy shop, so I bought a nice roomy off white 100% organic canvas tote at the Farmer's Market and proceeded to upstyle that plain jane bag it into a gorgeous French style market tote.





I pulled out my muslin and burlap, an assortment of lace and my own crocheted flowers, my quart jar of buttons, some twine and ribbon and what have you and started putting things together on my sewing table. I love the luxe look of all those materials piled willy nilly and that's where I get some very good design ideas.



I knew I wanted two roomy pockets on the outside embellished to a fare thee well and another large pocket inside this sturdy tote. One pocket is lined muslin and trimmed with a burlap rosette, a muslin rosette, my crocheted flowers and lace ruffles and lots of buttons and a lacy bow. This pocket is trimmed with a generous burlap ruffle at top and bottom. The pocket measures 8" x 6".


The other pocket is burlap lined with muslin and has more crocheted flowers, muslin rosettes, lots of lace ruffles and buttons and a twine bow. All the embellishments on this tote are sewed on by hand and not glued in any way. This is truly a unique handmade design! The burlap pocket has a nice muslin ruffle across the top. This pocket also measures 8" x 6". The generous straps on this tote are 18" long so it can be carried on your shoulder, hand or arm.


The inside pocket is 5 1/2" x 7 1/2" and is lined muslin with burlap and lace trim. This tote is 17" wide x 14 1/2" tall and has a generous bottom that is 4" across.


I love the way this tote looks now! It is unique and stylish and would be a wonderful Mother's Day gift! And after mom is done shopping, this bag would be a pretty accent to mom's shabby chic or cottage style decor. It even looks good just hanging on a chair, door knob or coat rack.

It is listed in my Etsy shop now, don't miss it! Shop early to guarantee delivery by Mother's Day.

10 comments:

  1. I love the muted tones and like you said the luxe look of all the embellishments...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great Mother's Day gift! Coming over from EverythingEtsy and a happy new follower. Heading over to your Etsy boutique as we speak!

    Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so pretty! I love the extra ruffle at the top of the pocket.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anne, this is lovely! Great combination of colors and textures. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Super, super cute mom tote! So feminine! I just love it! Such a French feel to it as well with the lace and crocheted flowers. So pretty! Thank you for sharing your bridal gown re-do on my blog as well. I loved it! I cannot believe you took on that huge alteration in just one afternoon! Wow! Now, YOU are amazing! I'm already a follower of yours and continuing to love ALL your stuff...and the signs! Have to make some of my own soon too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my Gosh that is STUNNING! Sooo pretty.
    Thanks for visiting today and leaving your lovely comment!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ann, I love this bag, it has to be the prettiest bag I've seen.
    Hugz,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep, I'm still here lurking around your blog... I love your little roses. Any tutorials in the future?

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and read every one. They let me know if I'm on a good track with my blog. Thanks for stopping by!

Book Page Christmas DIY

Most of you have figured out I am a color freak with an obsession  for turquoise, red and cobalt blue.  However, I also obsess about ...