Monday, August 27, 2018

DIY Slipcover...Worth The Hassle? Absolutely!


I scored this settee at a local yard sale after checking it out thoroughly. The frame is solid and it has good lines tho the very pretty brocade fabric is just shattered. I put it on the back deck and deep deep cleaned and sanitized it to a fare thee well. 

Slipcover time!


I totally scored a pair of lined canvas drapes at the thrift store. After deconstructing them and laundering I started draping and dinking around with the fabric. I ended up with about 10 yards of canvas plus the same amount of the softer lining fabric. The best part? Total fabric cost $5.00!


I cut rectangles roughly the size of each area and started pin fitting each piece. There are countless tutorials online on the pin fitting technique and I read lots of them before diving into this project. I marked the actual seam lines with pencil then pinned each piece. Then I trimmed the seams leaving a generous seam allowance. This sounds harder than it is, trust me!


Smooth your fabric and pin pin pin along the seams. Clip your curves to make fitting easier and don't stint on the pins.


This is before I trimmed the seams on this side. Start with plenty of fabric, you can always trim it down. If you don't start with enough material your project is screwed! Don't ask me how I know. 

Ahem.

Three hours in I knew this cover was going to look AWESOME. So before I even sewed it together, I did this....


Because that is what I do! I get excited as a project comes together and leap ahead to the logical end use...settee as photo prop!! I LOVE how all the textures and pale colors of the pillows from my Etsy shop look against the canvas cover.


LOVE THIS!  I'm sewing the seams this morning and adding a pleated flounce to the bottom
 so  my daughter can use it in a family photo shoot. 


I still have to add the flounce and sew it together so I'll have about 6 hours into this project. 
So worth it to me! This does not include the time it took to clean and sanitize the settee and deconstruct the drapes and launder the fabric. Even buying a new drop
 cloth instead would still make this an affordable project.



And here she is ready for a photo shoot. 

GORGEOUS!

I'm so enthused that I still have over 6 yards of canvas left. I scored a large throne chair 
for cheap and it's gorgeous and sturdy and stylish and it's PINK. But my 
living room is brown, red and turquoise.So guess what 
gets the next canvas slipcover?


7 comments:

  1. Cant wait to see the final results!! Thanks for sharing your creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see it done either. It already looks cute! I found your link at funky junk and I am glad I did!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is insanely beautiful! I love what you did with it, and you can't argue with the price!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You NEARLY and I do mean nearly have me convinced to tackle two wing chairs I have that are begging for attention. I said nearly right? Yes.. good... nearly. :)

    Lovely!!!

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sew Pretty!! I love that tufted burlap pillow too!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is SO pretty! You're inspiring! LOVE the flouncy skirt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I wish I could do this - what a beautiful job!!!
    Your newest follower - would love to have you come by and follow back when you have the time :)
    Hugs,
    Suzan

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and read every one. They let me know if I'm on a good track with my blog. Thanks for stopping by!

Book Page Christmas DIY

Most of you have figured out I am a color freak with an obsession  for turquoise, red and cobalt blue.  However, I also obsess about ...