Saturday, November 14, 2020

Stars from Drinking Straws-Himmeli!

 A few years back I noticed that these geometric Himmeli creations were getting alot of attention. 

Traditionally a Finnish craft using wheat straw,  

they were made for Christmas  and holidays, and just for fun.


Long years ago, Life magazine had a feature article on Himmeli stars 
made from drinking straws and our family made them for Christmas that year.


Now that plastic drinking straws are being phased out, this craft is perfect 
for the supplies still on hand.

I found this box of 1000 in a thrift shop.
These can also made from paper straws!


I cut the straws in half and strung wire through them to make a series of triangles
 then attached them together to make the geometric ball in the center.
 Leave the extra wire attached to trim away later when you are finished.

It will seem floppy and look a mess until you have attached enough
 triangles to give the ball structure and strength.





Wire three long straws together and attach to the triangles that for your center ball. 
Soon you will see how your spiky star ornament will look! 

Carefully tighten the wire attachments and trim the ends. 
Now you can hang your beautiful Himmeli star or spray paint it a 
fun color or even, what fun, cover it with glitter!


And NOW I'm getting oh so fancy and using black straws for this 
next wonderful project.

Here's the start......



A gorgeous Himmeli light fixture (with a low heat bulb of course!)

I will write up another post when it's done!


1 comment:

  1. Hi. May i know how you made this please? I want to make one for my room! May I have a step by step please? :)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and read every one. They let me know if I'm on a good track with my blog. Thanks for stopping by!

Book Page Christmas DIY

Most of you have figured out I am a color freak with an obsession  for turquoise, red and cobalt blue.  However, I also obsess about ...