Saturday, January 5, 2019

Paint Dye Your Pillows


There's a question. Paint your pillows or dye your pillows using paint? 
Whichever way you choose, it worked well for me!


I wanted all my pillows to match the turquoise color at the left 
using the other two patterned fabrics in the picture.


So I decided to just paint/dye them!
 I laid each remnant out and sprayed them with water until damp, 
straightening out any wrinkles at the same time. 

Then I diluted 3 or 4 drops of turquoise Craft Smart acrylic paint with water 
until it was quite runny. I dipped a soft paint brush in the watered down paint
 and touched it to the wet fabric.

 It was a real aha! moment for me as the damp fabric "grabbed" the color. 
Watching that turquoise spread across the fabric was almost magical. 
A spritz of water then a dab of color helped the process and in the end I was so pleased!


They turned out exactly the color I wanted! 
 I let both remnants air dry then ironed them to seal the color.
Here are the pillows on my bed with the original turquoise pillow.

So are they painted or dyed? 

This was a quick and thrifty DIY project for me. I had everything  in my stash.
Fabric remnants, pillow forms, craft paint, paint brushes and an iron. 
Plus a sewing machine, of course.

Altogether, not including drying time, this project took less than an hour from idea to pillows.
I call this one a win win!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments and read every one. They let me know if I'm on a good track with my blog. Thanks for stopping by!

Book Page Christmas DIY

Most of you have figured out I am a color freak with an obsession  for turquoise, red and cobalt blue.  However, I also obsess about ...