Friday, October 14, 2011

Black and White Halloween Decor

I love seeing all the creative ways bloggers decorate their fireplace mantels for each season. One smart lady even built a fireplace facade and mantel so she would have a focal point for decorating. Since I don't have a mantel, I utilize what I do have and that's a neat baker's rack The Welding Man made for our anniversary one year.

This year for Halloween I've shopped the house and the Dollar Store and loaded it up with all black and white decor. Though usually I am all about bright color, I really like this crisp combination.

I added some of my wired foam bats which I anchored in a bottle I spray painted gloss black. I made a wreath of the vines off our fence and once it dried painted it also. It looks great but it sheds ragged pieces of dried leaves EVERYWHERE, so it's not moving until after October 31st. A Dollar Store candelabra cutout and my silver decor ball are also on the top shelf, plus a couple of cloth pumpkins.

Fake cobwebs drape the bottom half over a bit of black fabric and lace scraps. The black netting fabric is from the Dollar Store. The jute wrapped apothecary jar is full of balls stamped with all the family's names. Insanely Creative Christy made it for my birthday and it looks great with this display.

Here's a shot showing the ruffled garland I made out of a Dollar Store plastic table cloth. So easy, and I'll be posting a how to on that soon. The square wrought iron piece usually hangs on the wall in my bedroom.

The bottom shelf has two Dollar Store cutouts which are really well done for the price. Fabric pumpkins sit on more glassware that I've spray painted gloss black. They look great! The little glass bell cloche sits over a plastic spider, you just can't see it in this pic.


Here's another look at the top shelf and my silver button decor ball draped with cobwebs next to my patchwork fabric pumpkin. The Dollar Store candelabra cut out will soon be on a door wreath, and I'll post pics when it is finished. Here also is another look at that dried vine wreath. I LOVE the spooky twisted vine look of it but Lord this thing sheds!

I've seen a few other black and white vignettes for Halloween and loved them, tho I have a tendency to LOAD THINGS UP. I understand the concept of less is more, but then I start putting things together and soon you have an eclectic mix with lots of visual appeal and interest. But hey, I like it.

I'll be posting on the linky parties on my sidebar. Take a moment to check them out, there are always some wonderfully creative projects to be found.


13 comments:

  1. Wow-o-wow! What a stark and thrilling display. Great job pulling things together with dollar store inspiration and what you have! Thanks for posting your chillingeque inspriration! ~CJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving your black and white Halloween!! I just did a similar look too! Stopping by from BNOTP- stop by and say hello!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a spooky post! It turned out great and lovely black and white colours. Thanks for sharing.
    Hope to see you on my blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that display. I think the black and white as a decorating theme is great, I need to consider theme more. I just throw stuff together but it always looks... off. Great post!

    Thanks for visiting my blog! I find the best blogs when people comment on my posts! I'm following now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the black and white decorating!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your decorations and the black and white combination.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very creative. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the idea of the all black and white:) Happy Halloween. Stay Fashionable! Love, Candy
    www.candysclothescloset.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this. It is just oh so pretty....uh huh I mean spooktacular!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this! Nominating you for the versatile blogger award...you are awesome! http://hatingmartha.blogspot.com/2011/10/halloween-costume-success-and-versatile.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you very much for linking to "Made by ME" linky party @ JAQS Studio.

    I am featuring you and your awesome project this week :)

    http://www.jaqsstudio.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cool! I think it looks awesome!
    Thanks for sharing at Show & Share!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and read every one. They let me know if I'm on a good track with my blog. Thanks for stopping by!

Book Page Christmas DIY

Most of you have figured out I am a color freak with an obsession  for turquoise, red and cobalt blue.  However, I also obsess about ...